Training & Experience
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Queensland Government – Legislative Policy, Innovation, Data
- ACT Government – Legislative Policy, Innovation, Open Data
- Wisprings Co. LLC – Innovation
- Australian National University (ANU) – Law
- University of Canberra (UC) – Law, Science
- National Institute of Dramatic Arts (NIDA) – Screen Acting
- Australian National University (ANU) – Law, LLB. LLM.
- Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) – Exec MBA
- The Hospital (2018) Short, Ashleigh Lindsell
- Homecoming Queens (2018) VOD, Corrie Chen
- The Library (2017) Short, Ashleigh Lindsell
- Memoirs of a Haunting (2017) Short, Anon
- Children of God (2017) Short, Brenden Bell
- Department of Defence (2011) Corporate
- Irresistible (2006) Feature, Ann Turner
- The Book of Revelation (2006) Feature, Ana Kokkinos
- Vitasoy (2005) Print Ad
- KanTong (2005) Commercial
- Skithouse (2004) TV, Daina Reid
PRODUCING & PRESENTING
- Pho, Sweet Lemons Film Studio Pty Ltd (2018) VOD Pilot
- Hobson’s Choice: Martin, Sweet Lemons Film Studio Pty Ltd (2018) Feature
- eHealth Queensland (2018) Corporate
- Unpacking Innovation, Logan City (2017) Corporate
- ACT Government (2016) Corporate
- The Next Big Thing Summit, Melbourne City (2016) Corporate
- The Morning Program, 1RPH (2010) Radio
- Carers Radio, 2xxfm (2009-10) Radio
My parents and I arrived in Australia on a humanitarian visa as refugees fleeing Vietnam after the war. We were ‘boat people’ with nothing to our names, except hope for a brighter future. While at sea, the engine of our overloaded boat failed eleven hours into the trip. We drifted aimlessly for days, with only very modest supplies of food and water. We were intercepted by pirates, threatened, robbed, and some on the boat were killed. My family were one of the lucky ones that weren’t ‘taken’, instead we were left to continue to drift at sea and see where fate would take us.
I suppose I can thank that period for the development of a very creative imagination. I was two years old, and although everyone else suffered the pangs of hunger, I feasted on all my favourite meals every day. My mind could conjure anything, and it did, my body just had to believe it was all real.
I grew up in Melbourne a very happy but defiant child who swung from tree branches, built fortresses, played sports and wrestled with boys. My parents did not know much English and so they could only earn a living by sewing garments at home for around 50 cents a piece. I started helping at the age of ten, which introduced me to the illustrious world of fashion, sewing outfits for my second-hand dolls from the off cuts. The creative streak continued, when I won a literary contest at eleven, and bought my first pair of brown T-bar shoes for school with my prize money. The shoes lasted a whole year before I outgrew them and had to replace them with a normal pair of lace-ups. I kept my T-bars for many years afterward as a memento.
I have studied almost everything, though only managed to get formal qualifications in law. Yes, that’s not too shabby, but believe me when I say, there were many directionless years in between. I started university at the age of sixteen, but didn’t finish my first degree until a little under a decade later. I put it all down to a need to build character, lots and lots of it.
I have extensive experience in government work and the development of legal policy and legislation, and in innovation capability building. I have also been an actress, presenter and producer since 2004 on a number of films, TV programs, commercial ads and radio programs, but have been focusing on my non-media career for the last few years, and have only just formally returned to acting this year, in 2017.
I am not the world’s best actress, but working hard at making my spark shine a little brighter. At the moment, I am completing my actor’s training through the National Institute of Dramatic Arts (NIDA) in Australia. I love acting, but it also scares me to death. Losing myself in characters is what enthrals me about the craft, but the dangers of getting too lost in a character and losing sight of reality frightens me. This is my mountain, and I will conquer it one day.
It has taken me a long time to figure out what makes me tick, and I think I’m close. I am a pioneer and dreamer with an appetite for new experiences and adventure. I have an active mind and prefer to be working on several projects in different areas at a time to allow for cross pollination of creative ideas. I always like to balance my creative brain with my left-brain by ensuring I have enough analytical work to counter balance my artistic work, and vice versa.
I am an energy healing grand master, intuit and a genuinely happy person. I’m sure I make others nauseous, but I love being happy. I also love progress, honesty and freedom, without which I would be a shell of a person. Acting is therefore, paradoxically, a peculiar but perfect outlet for me, and so too, is innovation.
This is a personal website and my opinions are my own.